Looking for a creamy and delicious frozen drink? Check out this simple virgin piña coloda, a recipe everyone can enjoy this summer.
A piña colada has a creamy tropical taste that is cool and oh so refreshing. It combines the tangy sweet flavor of pineapple and a the smooth taste of coconut to create a delicious summer cocktail.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
History of the Piña Colada
This classic cocktail dates back to the 1950’s in Puerto Rico. A well known bartender combined rum, coconut cream and pineapple juice served over ice. It picked up steam and gained popularity in the 70’s as it become a Caribbean staple. It’s since become synonymous with warm tropical vacations and summer fun. The drink can be made a few different ways, it began as a classic cocktail shaken and served over ice. Later, it the ingredients were blended with ice to create a frozen drink.
Picking the right ingredients
This virgin piña colada calls for pineapple juice and cream of coconut. Selecting the right coconut ingredient can be tricky, each product has a very different taste and texture. Let me break down the common ingredients for you.
- Coconut Water. This is the natural liquid found inside of a coconut. It is not coconut flavored water, although you can get your hands on that too.
- Coconut Milk is the liquid extracted from the flesh of a coconut. It’s the consistency of dairy milk and is very high in fat and calories. It has a coconut smell and flavor to it but is not very sweet.
- Coconut Cream is much thicker than coconut milk and is made by simmering shredded coconut and water. This is ideal for cooking and used in a variety of recipes.
- Cream of Coconut is a sweetened version of coconut cream and is a common ingredient in many tropical cocktails.
For this recipe stick with a small amount of cream of coconut, the flavor and sweetness go a long way. You can use coconut cream, but you will want to add a little simple syrup to the drink.
A good blender for frozen drinks
Once you have the ingredients selected its time to toss them in a blender to create the perfect frozen drink. A good frozen drink doesn’t have chunks of ice and is completely combined so the ingredients don’t immediately separate. When choosing a blender look for one that has a powerful motor, a variety of speeds and the ability to crush ice.
I love the Ninja blender for a few reasons.
- The Ninja comes with a large blade that runs the length of the pitcher to completely crush all ice and frozen ingredients.
- It features multiple blending containers so you can make a big batch or individual servings. This is ideal for breakfast smoothies when you only want to serve one. You make and drink your smoothie in one container; less dishes!
- This blender has many settings and presets allowing you to mix, chop, combine and blend just about anything.
A virgin piña colada is a fun non-alcoholic drink that is enjoyable to serve and drink, plus it tastes delicious! Go all out when serving up these drinks, add a wedge of pineapple to each glass, a maraschino cherry and a fun drink umbrella. Kids especially love the extra touches to make their drink special.
Make a big batch of this drink by doubling the recipe, or use the recipe as written to make 2 servings.
- 4 oz pineapple juice
- 2 oz cream of coconut
- 2 cups ice
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into 2 daiquiri glasses.
- Garnish with a wedge of pineapple and maraschino cherry. Add an umbrella and straw for a colorful touch.
To make this a classic piña colada use the following recipe:
2 oz light rum
6 oz pineapple juice
2 oz cream of coconut
Blend with ice until smooth and serve with a garnish of pineapple.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 23gProtein: 2g
Like this cocktail recipe? Be sure to pin and share it.
A few more frozen drinks you will enjoy.