A soothing warm drink to cure what ales you, the classic hot toddy is a winter staple. Learn how to make this cocktail and some recipe variations to create the perfect drink.
This post may contain affiliate links, view my full disclosure policy here.
The recipe for a hot toddy varies but in the end it’s a warm drink that combines a dark spirit like Whiskey along with hot water, lemon and honey. It’s typically served during wet or cold months to fight off a cold and warm you up inside and out.
What’s in a hot toddy?
There are 4 main ingredients in a hot toddy. Start with this base and vary the ratios of each until you have a drink that suits your taste.
- Dark spirits. Whiskey, bourbon, dark rum and brandy work best in this drink. Pick your favorite, or go with what you have in the cabinet to start your drink.
- Lemon. A wedge of fresh lemon squeezed into this drink and used as a garnish is essential.
- Sweetener. Honey is my go-to sweetener in a hot toddy. You can also try brown sugar or simple syrup.
- Hot water. Just plain boiling water will do. You can also try chamomile tea to add a deeper flavor to your drink.
Once you have the basic cocktail down, try adding a few other flavors to enhance the drink and it’s cold fighting prpoerties.
- Ginger. A slice of fresh ginger stirred in will give a spicy flavor and add to the immune boosting properties of this cocktail.
- Nutmeg and cloves add spice and deep flavor as well. Try adding a few whole cloves to the wedge of lemon and letting it soak in your drink.
- Star anise. Not only will this spice add flavor, it makes a lovely garnish for the top of your drink.
- 1 ounce Whiskey
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- Boiling water
- Cinnamon stick
- Lemon wedge
- In a tall mug combine whiskey, lemon juice and honey. Stir to combine.
- Top with hot water and stir.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick and lemon wedge.
This drink can be made with any dark spirit. Try brandy, bourbon or dark rum.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 16mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 1g
A hot toddy is best enjoyed on a cold day, or as a night cap. Or both! Make a mug after a long day in the snow to warm you up. It’s also an ideal drink to boost your immune system and fight off a pending cold.
This warm and delicious drink has been enjoyed for hundreds of years. Why not give it a try and enjoy one yourself.
Like this recipe? Be sure to pin and share it.
Up next – take a look at these simple cocktail recipes